I hope everyone is staying warm with this huge temperature drop. Really feels like winter in Chicago now!
First, a huge thank you to everyone this week for your patience and understanding! I know there were schedule changes and lots of uncertainty, so I really appreciate all of the support you've provided to your students this week and moving forward. Thank you again!!!
Until we hear an update from the CPS/CTU negotiations, we will have to wait to see exactly what next week will look like. I have attached the checklist for next week. We will be following the same new schedule that we used this week moving forward. I will send updates via Remind as soon as I hear anything, however the news will probably be the fastest source of information.
We will plan on tentatively doing something as a class for Valentine's Day. Due to the uncertainty of the schedules right now, I am not sure what day will be best, so I will let you all know!
There will be no scheduled small groups this week due to changing schedules with our TA, however I will again be pulling students for TRC testing. They may be asked to stay on after meeting sessions or hop back on after lunch to work toward completing these assessments. As soon as everyone is finished, I will be sending out the reading level results to each family individually.
Quarter 2 report cards will be sent directly to families from CPS starting on February 12th. You can always check Aspen as well.
The Coonley Chronicle would like to feature YOU in our updates, send your submissions for What Are You Reading (A photo of you and your favorite book in a cozy spot) and/or What Games Are You Playing (photos of you playing your favorite game). Let's face it, we're all looking for something great to read or fun games to play. Please submit photos to email@example.com. Deadline for photos is February 12, 2021. Check out our updated articles on the website @coonleychronicle.weebly.com .
Aspen CPS Health Screener Texts
Would you like to get a reminder text daily to make it easier to complete you child's CPS health screener? Parents have the ability (if they are not already receiving text alerts form CPS) to sign up via the CPS parent portal. Once you log into your CPS parent portal account you can go to the "menu" (three horizontal lines in top left), click on "preferences" and provide a phone number where you would like to receive SMS notifications and "submit".
Have a great weekend,
- For sake of consistency, we will be keeping the regular schedule for next week. I have attached the checklist to this email. The following week's schedule will change once we begin hybrid learning. I will share more information about what that will look like next week.
- You should have received an email earlier this afternoon from me with your student's hybrid/remote placement. Please let me know if you have any questions or did not receive the email.
- Information from the Coonley bulletin that may be helpful:
Other Important Information:
Have a great weekend,
Thank you so much to everyone for attending our first virtual conferences. It was so great to finally meet you all virtually at least!
Just a few quick notes for our short week:
-- We have Wednesday - Friday off next week due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Enjoy your break!
-- The reading group from this Wednesday will be with Ms. Abby on Monday. Tuesday's reading group is canceled.
--Book Fair ends on Saturday!
Coonley Book Fair!
We are excited to announce that the Coonley Fall Scholastic Book Fair is back — and it’s all ONLINE! You can shop our online book fair from November 8th to 21st at the Coonley Book Fair Link from over 6,000 products - including award winning books, best sellers, boxed sets and much more.
-- If interested:
Support the Common Pantry Holiday Gift Drive
Please help give families in need a special holiday, especially during this challenging year. Sign up here to provide for one of these needs:
I'm looking forward to meeting with everyone next Wednesday for conferences. Please sign up for a time slot below if you haven't already!
- Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences will be occurring on Wednesday, November 18th from 12:00pm - 7:00pm. I have attached the link for the sign up slots below. Slots are limited to 10 minutes to accommodate everyone, so please help us to stay on schedule. I will be sending out the link for the meetings closer to the date. Sign up here:
-- Book Fair Info: We are excited to announce that the Coonley Fall Scholastic Book Fair is back — and it’s all ONLINE! You can shop our online book fair from November 8th to 21st at https://bookfairs.scholastic.com/bookfairs/cptoolkit/homepage.do?method=homepage&url=johnccoonleycpsfall2020 from over 6,000 products. Check out the new Virtual Fair with virtual book cases, characters, trailers, curated reading lists and more! All orders ship directly to your home or designated address, and book-only orders over $25 ship for free! All purchases benefit our school and earns Coonley up to 25% in rewards! Email the Book Fair chairs, Susan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Michelle (email@example.com) with questions. Book Fair Flyer
- From Coonley Blast: Remote Learning "Student Cameras On"
A major impediment to supporting and monitoring student engagement in remote learning is when students have their cameras off. This problem is more pronounced in intermediate and upper grades. Teachers need feedback in order to figure out how to help students. Please have a conversation with your child about turning their camera on to improve their learning. Please continue this conversation with teachers at report card pick up. We all have to work together to make the best of these difficult times.
- Reading small groups: Since I have finished TRC reading testing, I have readjusted the groups to fit student's needs. These changes are made in the weekly calendar. I will begin pulling groups for reading and math in addition to Ms. Abby after Thanksgiving break.
I hope everyone has been enjoying the beautiful weather the past few days! Here are a few updates for next week:
-- Make sure to check the schedule for the new enrichments starting this week, Music and Art!
-- Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences will be occurring on Wednesday, November 18th from 12:00pm - 7:00pm. I have attached the link for the sign up slots below. Slots are limited to 10 minutes to accommodate everyone, so please help us to stay on schedule. I will be sending out the link for the meetings closer to the date. Sign up here:
-- Quarter 1 grades are being posted today. Please check your students grades next week as physical copies tend to take a while to get to you.
-- Optional Science Activity: Next week on Wednesday and Thursday, I will be demonstrating with some materials for our glue project. If students want to try these experiments after school, these are the supplies they will need: cornstarch, salt, flour, baking soda and plastic cups. This is purely optional as I will be showing the demonstration live on Google Meets.
-- I will be finishing up TRC testing this week. I will share these results with you during conferences. Future reading groups will be changing according to these results and groups will be added as I will begin to work with groups.
-- Book Fair Info: We are excited to announce that the Coonley Fall Scholastic Book Fair is back — and it’s all ONLINE! You can shop our online book fair from November 8th to 21st at https://www.scholastic.com/bf/johnccoonleycpsfall2020 from over 6,000 products. Check out the new Virtual Fair with virtual book cases, characters, trailers, curated reading lists and more! All orders ship directly to your home or designated address, and book-only orders over $25 ship for free! All purchases benefit our school and earns Coonley up to 25% in rewards! Email the Book Fair chairs, Susan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Michelle (email@example.com) with questions. Book Fair Flyer
Have a great weekend,
I hope everyone has a safe Halloween weekend! I know the students were very excited about their costumes and our celebration.
A few notes for next week:
-- Tuesday and Friday we have no school due to the election and the end of the quarter.
-- For next week, students will need their Reader's Journal Packet from the last instructional pick up, as well as their Friendship Junior Great Book.
-- Virtual parent teacher conferences will be taking place on November 18th. A sign up will be coming out next week. Please keep a look out for that.
-- Since Friday is the end of the quarter, our enrichments will be switching after next week. Our new specials will be music and art for the following week!
I hope everyone had a great week, even though it was a little rainy.
Some notes for next week:
1. We will begin TRC reading level testing next week. I will be testing students during asynchronous time. Your student may be pulled during that time to be tested. If you have not completed and returned the form, please do so as soon as possible!
2. For next week, students will need their green place value blocks from the original packet pick up. They will also need the "Nonfiction Text Features Book" from the second pickup along with the Scholastic News magazines that were also included.
3. We will be celebrating Halloween on Friday. Students will be allowed to wear costumes to class on that day. More details to follow next week.
4. CPS Announcement Update -- Last week, CPS announced their plan to bring PreK and Special Education Cluster students back to in-person instruction in the second quarter. All other students will remain in remote learning throughout the second quarter.
Have a great weekend,
I hope everyone's shorter week went fast. We are really getting into the heart of fall now!
A few notes for this week:
1. We will be soon starting TRC reading level testing. Be on the lookout early next week with additional information about this testing and a form to complete.
2. On Tuesday for science, students will need to have their favorite drink with them. We will be making observations of this drink.
3. If you are interested, don't forget to order books from Scholastic. These can be shipped right to your house. A new email about them will be coming out soon.
I hope everyone is doing well this week, especially since we have a three day weekend coming up here!
Just a few notes about next week:
1. Progress report grades have been posted on Aspen. Please take a look at them. CPS will be mailing the report to you, however it may take a while to get there. Please note that for reading, we are still waiting on guidance about TRC (reading level testing). That score has a big effect on your student's reading grade which is not reflected yet.
2. I will be taking a personal day on Tuesday (10/13). Ms. Ortiz will be your student's substitute teacher. She will have access to our Google Classroom and will be holding class as usual. All links students will need can be found in our Google Classroom under Classwork as always. If there are any issues with technology, please send me an email and we can figure it out on Wednesday.
3. Here are some options for helping your student's Google Meets experience. These are not required. I'm just sharing for those who are interested. I believe they will only work for computers and only on the Google Chrome browser. This one allows students to use the space bar to mute and unmute: Space Bar Mute Extension This one allows students to see all the other students at the same time in the Grid View: Grid View Extension
4. Please make sure you have picked up the second set of instructional materials by next Wednesday (10/14). You can pick up at Coonley from 8am - 3:30pm any day we have school.
I hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather we've been having this week. Just a few quick notes for next week.
1. The checklist for the week is attached below.
2. Just a reminder to try to pick up the instructional materials from Coonley. Items are available for pick up from 8am - 3:30pm from the main doors. We will be using these materials next week.
3. On Tuesday afternoon, Ms. DuBose will be visiting our classroom to give a lesson. You should have received the letter from her in an email from me this morning
4. Finally, we will be starting to use Spelling City next week. Hopefully, this will be the last website I will have to share for a while. This is the login link: https://www.spellingcity.com/Log-yourself-in.html Students should be able to choose the Login with Google option. I have practice materials on there for them to try if they would like to test it out.